Fun and Easy Tuna Salad
by Kathy Jacobs
Quick and easy tuna salad variations for both adults and kids
|1 can of tuna (12 oz.) |
|1/4 cup mayonnaise / salad dressing |
|2 tablespoons French dressing |
|1/2 teaspoon ground celery seed |
|1 teaspoon dried, minced onion |
|2 tablespoons mustard |
|2 teaspoons sweet relish |
- Drain liquid from tuna. Dispose of liquid and place tuna in bowl.
- Add mayonnaise, French dressing, and mustard. Mix until color is even.
- Add celery seed, onion, and relish. Mix again.
- Cover bowl and chill for a least 15 minutes to set flavors.
- Serve either on sandwiches or as salad with fancy crackers for dipping.
This recipe grew out of my husband's desire for a tuna salad that doesn't crunch. It is a combination of the recipe his mother made when he was growing up and the one my mother taught me. We make several variations of this as well. The three that go over the best are:
- Garlic Tuna Salad: Add 1/2 teaspoon of dried garlic instead of the minced onion.
- Cheese and Tuna Salad: While salad chills, cube up about 1 cup of cheddar cheese. Mix cheese into salad just before serving.
- Fancy Tuna Salad: Add 2 sliced hard boiled eggs to salad at Step 3. This has become the "Fancy" version because I only do it when I have time to hard boil the eggs!