Kathy's Other Stir Fry
by Kathy and Bruce Jacobs
Over the year's this site has been in existance, my stir fry recipe has been a favorite. While putting together the April 2004 class, I realized that the recipe I teach has evolved from the original. Here it is for your eating enjoyment. Let us know which you like best!
3 to 4 cups of a variety of chopped, fresh vegetables:
- Bell Peppers
- Red Onion
- 1 small bag frozen green beans
- 1 small package frozen pea pods
- 1 can minicorn cobs
- 1 can water chestnuts
- 1 can bamboo shoots
Stir Fry Sauce
- 1 cup Teriyaki sauce
- 1 tsp. 5-spice powder
- 1 tbs. garlic powder
- 1 tbs. cilantro
- 2 tbs. sesame seeds (optional)
- 2 tbs. soy sauce
- 1 tbs. honey
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- Mix sauce ingredients in zipper bag or covered bowl. Set aside in cooler to allow flavors to meld for 1 hour (minimum).
- Chop/slice/drain vegetables as appropriate. Store in zipper bags until ready to cook. (Note: Above steps can be done at home before trip if desired.)
- Start wood fire. When fire is hot, place wok on fire. Pour 2-3 tbs. of oil into wok and spread around with wok tools.
- When oil is hot, add cauliflower, carrots, broccoli. Stir until vegetables start to soften.
- Add onion, peppers, beans. Continue to stir until these vegetables have cooked slightly. (A good judge of this is when the onions start to wilt or change color.)
- Add remaining vegetables. Continue to stir. Add just enough sauce to coat the vegetables, stirring slowly. Place wok lid on wok and let steam for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove lid, toss vegetables again. Taste to see if they are done. If dish looks too dry, add more sauce to taste.
- Serve with extra sauce.
Just because the recipe doesn't list any meat, doesn't mean you can't. If you want to add meat, take about a third of the sauce and pour it in a ziploc with the meat before you put the sauce in the cooler to meld. Be sure to store both ziplocs in the cooler. When ready to cook, put your cut up meat in after the onions start to soften. Let the meat cook a few minutes before you add the remaining vegetables.