Pa Pa Wan
by Kathy Jacobs
This stir fry recipe from Thailand is slightly sweet instead of spicy. It is a great dish to use with your wok.
- 1 1/2 pound beef for stir-frying
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 Cups cut broccoli
- 1/4 fresh pineapple, sliced or 1 can sliced pineapple in juice
- 1 medium tomato cut into chunks
- 1/4 Cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked rice
- Cut steak into small oblong pieces.
- Start wood fire in ring.
- When wood is flaming and there are coals, set wok in fire. (If you have a wok ring, lay that down first.)
- Carefully, pour oil in skillet or wok.
- As wok gets warm, move oil around with stirring utensil.
- Add onion and steak to hot oil; stir-fry until steak is brown.
- Add broccoli and pineapple. If using canned pineapple, add the juice from the can.
- Stir-fry 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add tomato, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Stir-fry until tomato is thoroughly heated.
- Serve over rice.
You can make this recipe with chicken as well. Make sure that you add a little extra water (about Œ cup per 2 pounds of chicken) when you add the broccoli, pineapple and juice to keep the chicken from drying out.
To Make Rice
When outdoors, we do not make rice from scratch. Instead, we use rice that comes in an instant boiling bag. It is easier, less mess, and almost as good.