by Kathy Jacobs
Hamburger BBQ Sandwiches
Quick and easy BBQ sandwiches with several sauce variations for you to choose from!
|12 Buns(12 oz.) |
|2 pounds hamburger |
|1 15 oz. can tomato sauce |
|2 tablespoons flavored vinegar (We use garlic flavored vinegar) |
|4 tablespoons brown sugar |
|Dash Tabasco |
|2 teaspoon garlic powder |
|2 tablespoon dried onions |
|1 tablespoon mustard or 1 teaspoon dried, ground mustard seed |
|1/4 teaspooon chili powder or 1/4 teaspoon curry powder |
- In sauce pan, mix all ingredients except hamburger and buns. Bring to simmer. Let simmer for 20 minutes, tasting frequently. If something is missing add it.
- Meanwhile, brown hamburger. When browned, drain and add to sauce. Stir together. Let simmer until ready to serve.
- To serve, place meat mixture on buns. Or place both on table and let everyone serve themselves!
- We make this outside (during our cooking classes) on a propane stove or inside on the regular stove. It goes over great with eaters of all ages. When there are kids around, we go a little heavier on the brown sugar to make it sweeter. When the party is all adults, we go a little heavier on the garlic and onion.
- This recipe can easily be increased for large groups, but be careful about the spice ratios. Spices like curry and chili powder get stronger exponentially, not proportionally.
- I do not recommend adding both chili powder and curry to the same dish. The taste is very strange (to say the least!)
- If you want to have your child make this dish, add 1/4 cup of catsup instead of the vinegar and brown sugar. It is a little easier and a little more familiar!