by Kathy and Bruce Jacobs
Are you looking for an impressive desert or snack to serve your group? These bananas taste great and don't take much effort to make. You can even make the sauce ahead of time and re-heat it when it is time for serving.
- 6 bananas, moderately ripe
- 6 tbs. butter
- Lime Juice
- 2 cups dried apricots
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 5 cups crushed pineapple
- Make sauce: Cook apricots and water gently in a wide bottomed, covered pan until the fruit is pulpy and disintegrates easily when stirred with a wire whisk. Add sugar. Stir until dissolved. Then add crushed pineapple, bring mixture to a boil. Boil for 2 to three minutes, stirring constantly. Once done, let rest until bananas are ready.
- Melt butter.
- Grill bananas : Open bananas and split length wise. Place banana pieces on griddle or fry pan. Pour butter over bananas to allow them to grill in the buttter. Be sure to grill both sides.
- Arrange banana pieces on platter. Sprinkle with lime juice and sauce. You should use about two tablespoons of sauce per banana.
- Serve either hot or cold.
If desired, apricot brandy can be added to the sauce. Use about 1 jigger per recipe of sauce.