Hamburger BBQ Sandwiches
by Kathy Jacobs
Quick and easy BBQ sandwiches with several sauce variations for you to choose from!
- 12 Buns(12 oz.)
- 2 pounds hamburger
- 1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons flavored vinegar (We use garlic flavored vinegar)
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- Dash Tabasco
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoon dried onions
- 1 tablespoon mustard or 1 teaspoon dried, ground mustard seed
- 1/4 teaspooon chili powder or 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- In sauce pan, mix all ingredients except hamburger and buns. Bring to simmer. Let simmer for 20 minutes, tasting frequently. If something is missing add it.
- Meanwhile, brown hamburger. When browned, drain and add to sauce. Stir together. Let simmer until ready to serve.
- To serve, place meat mixture on buns. Or place both on table and let everyone serve themselves!
- We make this outside (during our cooking classes) on a propane stove or inside on the regular stove. It goes over great with eaters of all ages. When there are kids around, we go a little heavier on the brown sugar to make it sweeter. When the party is all adults, we go a little heavier on the garlic and onion.
- This recipe can easily be increased for large groups, but be careful about the spice ratios. Spices like curry and chili powder get stronger exponentially, not proportionally.
- I do not recommend adding both chili powder and curry to the same dish. The taste is very strange (to say the least!)
- If you want to have your child make this dish, add 1/4 cup of catsup instead of the vinegar and brown sugar. It is a little easier and a little more familiar!