by Kathy and Bruce Jacobs
This simple but elegant soup will wow the members of your camping group. It is great as a dinner starter as well as a stand alone vegetarian lunch.
The recipe is set up for a stockpot over the fire, but can be made in a large Dutch oven or over a propane stove as well.
- 6 cups mushrooms, Chopped or sliced
- 1/2 cup butter
- 6 sweet onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup flour
- 15 cups chicken or vegetarian stock – You may decide you want less liquid. If so, cut stock down to 10 cups.
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons rice, uncooked
- 2 1/4 bay leaves
- 3/8 cup watercress, chopped for garnish
- 1/4 cup chives, chopped for garnish
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in stockpot, add onions and mushroom pieces.
- Cover with a piece of greased foil, greased side pressed down on vegetables.
- Cook over low fire for 5 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat. Remove foil, add remaining butter.
- When butter is melted, blend in flour. (If butter does not melt from heat in pan return to flame BRIEFLY.)
- Once flour is evenly mixed in, add soup stock.
- Season as desired.
- Return pot to fire and cook stirring constantly until mixture boils.
- Add rice and bay leaf. Cover with foil and simmer 15 to 20 minutes until heated through and rice is cooked.
- Before serving, remove bayleaf sprinkle top of soup with watercress or chives.