Classic French Onion Soup with Cheese
by Kathy and Bruce Jacobs
Ever made French Onion Soup out of doors? This one makes a great lunch, especially when combined with a simple salad.
The recipe is set up for a stockpot over the fire, but can be made in a large Dutch oven or over a propane stove as well.
- 2 ounces unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 pounds very thinly sliced onions
- 8 - 12 cups reduced unsalted beef stock
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 12 slice(s) French bread, cut to 3/8-inch and toasted well
- 8 ounces finely shredded Gruyere cheese
- Heat the butter in a stockpot, over a moderate fire.
- Add the onions and cook until golden or brown as desired
- Add the stock, bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer at least 20 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into individual soup bowls or gratin dishes.
- Top each with a slice of bread. Cover with grated cheese.
- Serve hot.