Herb Tomato Soup
by Kathy and Bruce Jacobs
This tomato soup can be made the night before and served when you have time to eat lunch. It can be served hot or cold and is great either way.
The recipe is set up for a stockpot over the fire, but can be made in a large Dutch oven or over a propane stove as well.
- 1 cup butter
- 3 - 4 carrots, chopped (optional)
- 3 - 4 potatoes, chopped
- 10 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 7 cups chicken or vegetarian stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Salt and pepper
- 1/3 teaspoon tarragon
- 1/3 teaspoon marjoram
- 2/3 teaspoon thyme
- Melt butter in stockpot or kettle.
- Stir in carrots, potatoes, and tomatoes.
- Cook on low or fire for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the stock and tomato paste.
- Add the spices, seasoning with salt and pepper if desired.
- Simmer the soup covered for 1 hour or until vegetables are fork tender.
- Stir occasionally during cooking to prevent sticking.
- Serve hot or cold.