Toffee French Toast
by Kathy and Bruce Jacobs
This breakfast dish makes up quickly, tastes great, and disappears fast. Don't let it sit too long before serving or the toffee will harden.
- 1 loaf French Bread, sliced thickly or 1 pakcage of hamburger buns
- 1 egg
- 1 Cup milk
For toffee mixture:
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- 6 Tablespoons sugar
- 6 Tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- Sugar(to taste)
- Beat the egg and milk until mixed.
- Pour onto a plate and dip the bread in the mixture unil coated.
Make the toffee mixture:
- In a skillet or frying pan, combine the butter, the sugar and the syrup.
- Cook, stirring, until mixture starts to brown.
- Reserve half the mixture to pour over french toast before serving.
- Leave other half of mixture in skillet.
- Add the soaked bread to the mixture in the skillet.
- Cook until brown on one side, then turn and brown on the other side.
- Take out the bread and arrange in an overlapping circle on a buttered dish. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- Wipe out the pan, pour in the reserved toffee mixture, and pour or spoon this mixture over the bread.
- Add sugar to taste to the sour cream or yogurt and spoon into the center of the dish.