Chicken with Lime
by Kathy and Bruce Jacobs
Full flavored chicken dish with many spices. Great for impressing other campers.
2 broiler-fryer chicken, cut in parts
* If using boneless, skinless chicken breasts instead of chicken pieces, use at least 16 half breast pieces
- 1 Teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 Teaspoon ground coriander seed
- œ Teaspoon crushed red pepper
- œ Teaspoon turmeric
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 limes, quartered
- 2 Teaspoon salt
- œ Teaspoon black pepper
- œ Cup oil (corn oil works best)
- 2 Tablespoons minced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and black pepper.
- Heat oil in large fry pan over medium heat.
- Add chicken and brown on all sides.
- Move chicken to clean bowl.
- Add onion and garlic to pan; sauté until golden.
- Add cumin, coriander, red pepper and turmeric to the pan and stir around to distribute spices in onion and garlic.
- Add soy sauce.
- Add chicken back to skillet and stir to distribute sauce on chicken pieces.
- Reduce heat and cook slowly, covered, stirring frequently for about 20 minutes or until fork can be inserted in chicken with ease.
- Squeeze 1 lime on chicken before serving, section remaining lime to squeeze on chicken while eating.
If desired, this dish can be made in a Dutch Oven instead of the skillet. Use your liner pan to brown the chicken and the onions and garlic. Stir only twice. Check for doneness after 20 minutes.